Leading by example is a powerful way to inspire and motivate your team to achieve their best.
I believe leaders have a tremendous opportunity to impact their team’s performance and morale in a positive way. Personally, I love to also lead by growing with my team and experiencing the highs and lows of our projects and going through it with them side-by-side while also leading. I try not to micromanage but instead to get in the trenches with them at times so I can experience things from their perspective.
There’s nothing like a leader who is apathetic to the challenges of the people on their team. I don’t want to be that person.
In doing some research, I found some excellent strategies for leading by example to share:
- Model the behaviour you want to see: If you want your team to be punctual and prepared for meetings, make sure you are the first to arrive and have everything you need. If you want your team to communicate openly and honestly, lead by example and be transparent in your own communication.
- Hold yourself accountable: Take responsibility for your actions and hold yourself accountable for your mistakes. This sets an example for your team to do the same and fosters a culture of accountability.
- Be consistent: Consistency is key to building trust and credibility with your team. Ensure that your actions align with your words and that you are consistent in your expectations and standards.
- Be willing to learn and grow: No one is perfect, and as a leader, it’s important to be willing to learn from your mistakes and grow as a person and a professional. Show your team that it’s okay to make mistakes, and that learning and growth are essential to success.
- Show appreciation: Take the time to recognize and appreciate your team’s hard work and achievements. By acknowledging their efforts, you demonstrate that you value and respect them, which can be a powerful motivator.
- Foster a positive work culture: As a leader, you have the power to shape your team’s work culture. Lead by example by treating your team with kindness, respect, and empathy. Encourage open communication, collaboration, and a spirit of teamwork.
- Take care of yourself: Leading by example also means taking care of yourself. Ensure that you are maintaining a healthy work-life balance, setting boundaries, and practising self-care. By modelling healthy habits, you show your team the importance of taking care of themselves too.
By modelling the behaviour you want to see, holding yourself accountable, being consistent, showing appreciation, fostering a positive work culture, and taking care of yourself, you can set a powerful example that inspires your team to achieve their best.
Love it! We all should try our best to adhere to these principles especially #7! I do love wellness!